Last Monday, Nov. 19, 2012, the House of Representatives approved on its third and final reading the bill institutionalizing the K-to-12 (known as House Bill (HB) 6643) program of the government. This program adds two more years to the Philippines current basic education system, wherein a 1 year education in Kindergarten, 6 years on elementary, and on high school years instead of having 4 years will be 6 years, which compose of four years in junior high school and additional two years in senior high school.
To better facilitate the early learning process of students a multi-lingual or mother-tongue teaching approach will be implemented under this bill and all teachers are required to use a region’s dialect as medium of instruction from Grade 1 to 3.
Department of Education (DepEd) already implemented the K-to-12 program this school year and students who were supposed to be incoming freshmen high-school students were enrolled as Grade 7 students.
198 members of the congress voted to pass the K-12 bill, which is now formally known as House Bill (HB) 6643, and only 8 lawmakers opposed the passing of this bill.
Even there is an overwhelming number of congressmen who vote for the passing of this bill, there are questions still left unanswered:
1. Will the implementation of this bill can actually address the country’s educational problem?
2. Will there be enough qualified teachers in our schools in every region?
3. Will there be enough classrooms for the students?
4. Does our government ready to provide enough budget for our youth’s education?
5. Does this K-to-12 program aligned with what resources we have?
6. Do we have enough supplies of books and other teaching materials?
The government shall realized that K-to-12 program means additional students which requires additional budget, classrooms, chairs, books, teachers etc..
If the government will unable to meet the basic needs to provide quality education, this k-to-12 program will not be efficiently carried out and Philippines’ education system will be left behind like will be warrior going to war with no weapons at all.